Thursday, July 29, 2010

Avoiding Defective Dating

To quote from the book "I Kissed Dating Goodbye", [the title is not as it seems/sounds]

"The first step is to change your attitude toward relationships... Until we renew our ways of thinking about love and relationships, our lifestyles will continue to flounder in the mire of defective dating."

Here the author gives five important "new attitudes" that "flow from our view of three areas: love, purity, and singleness".
  1. Every relationship is an opportunity to model Christ's love.

  2. My unmarried years are a gift from God.

  3. I don't need to pursue a romantic relationship before I'm ready for marriage.

  4. I cannot "own" someone outside marriage. (dili imung uyab ang magbuot nimu)

  5. I will avoid situations that could compromise the purity of my body or mind.

"Choosing to quit the dating game doesn't mean rejecting friendship with the opposite sex, companionship, romance, or marriage. We can still pursue these things; we just choose to pursue them on God's terms and in His time.... 'seek first His kingdom and His righteousness' (Matthew 6:33).

"Leaving dating behind is a by-product of God's primary desire for us to consume ourselves with seeking him wholeheartedly."

There is a right time for everything. But "the right thing at the wrong time is a wrong thing".

The right question to ask is "Has God given me His [or the] best?", but "Am I giving God my best?". "You and I will never experience God's best--in singleness or in marriage--until we give God our all.

So have you given God your all? Do you prioritize living the way God wants you to live, and not living the way you want to live? Give Him your all. Please Him. Honor Him for the right reasons, and He will honor and reward you.

No comments:

Post a Comment